Eastern Region Update April 2017
Self-Assessment, Peer Challenge and Review
The annual self-assessment process for 2017 is underway in each of the 11 local authorities in the Eastern Region. Once completed, these will be moderated and subjected to peer challenge by DCS/AD colleagues within the region. For SLI, the outcome will be new/revised priority areas for the coming year
A peer review has been undertaken into arrangements for LAC/Care Leavers in Central Bedfordshire, conducted by colleagues from Suffolk, Hertfordshire and Peterborough.
Paired peer health-checks are currently taking place, where pairs of local authorities ‘buddy up’ to perform reciprocal peer reviews into Contact & Referral arrangements in each other’s LA.
Data benchmarking continues throughout the region, with a quarterly tartan rug report highlighting comparative performance across all LAs for a range of performance measures. A targeted benchmarking report has been produced on SGO performance and a Section 20 benchmarking exercise is just commencing.
Doing things differently:
A regional event is being planned for June at which every LA in the region will showcase key areas of innovation and improvement by holding workshops or hosting a ‘market stall’.
Improving attainment of vulnerable children especially around KS2:
A planning workshop is being held for school improvement leads and representative head teachers to:
- Consider current educational attainment of vulnerable groups at KS2 in the region
- Develop a shared understanding of key factors affecting the attainment of vulnerable groups
- Share strategies for improvement, drawing on learning from local authorities and schools
- Agree a sector-led improvement programme of work in 2017-18.
The regional Virtual School Heads group has developed an action plan, with priorities of:
• The effective monitoring of provision and outcomes for children in care by designated teachers that inform intervention
• High-quality Personal Education Plans from all schools that influence practice and bring about improved outcomes
• Effective use of Pupil Premium Plus
• To develop better partnership working between LAs to improve outcomes for children in care placed in other LAs.
A full programme of regular network meetings are supported for:
- SLI governance groups
- AD network
- LSCB chairs and business managers
- Workforce leads
- Principal social workers
- QA leads
- Performance information management group
- Corporate parenting steering group
- Leaving care network.
Other regional activity
Leadership & workforce development:
The focus for this work stream is to:
- Encourage LAs to work together to shape the QSW recruitment market with a focus on supply and demand
- Manage agency pay rates, and quality and supply of workers
- Improve quality of SW students and programmes
- Deliver regional strategic workforce planning for QSWs
- Encourage neighbouring regions to launch similar initiatives to manage the overall supply and demand of social workers at a national level.
Regional adoption agency development:
Work continues on developing regional adoption agencies within the region.
UASC national transfer scheme:
A rota scheme is operating within the region to enable equitable transfer/dispersal of UASC between all local authorities in liaison with the Strategic Migration Partnership.
Update from the North East region for the ADCS Council of Reference
Update from Greater London region for ADCS Council of Reference
ADCS President comments on the benefits of a peer support programme for the...
Update from the North East region - November 2017
Update from the North West region for the ADCS Council of Reference
Update from North East region for ADCS Council of Reference
Inaugural speech from ADCS President, Alison Michalska
Update from the Greater London Region - November 2017
Update from the South East region for the ADCS Council of Reference
Update from North West region for ADCS Council of Reference
Latest update from the Standards Performance & Inspection Policy Committee
Update from the West Midlands region for the April meeting of the ADCS...
Update from the East Midlands region - November 2017
Update for the June meeting of the ADCS Council of Reference
Update from the South West region for the ADCS Council of Reference