Eastern Region Update - November 2017
County Lines Summit
A multi-agency ‘Eastern Region County Lines Summit’ is being planned for the end of November, involving senior managers and decision makers within:
- Social care
- Youth offending service
- Probation service
- Police & crime commissioners
- Youth justice board
- Children’s society.
The aim is to review the current national picture, look at recent developments and areas of emerging research or practice, and to encourage attendees to develop a high-level gangs’ strategy for the region. It is anticipated that about 50 attendees, representing all the local authority areas in the region, will participate in the summit.
Work continues to define the desired outcomes and work-stream activities in relation to the regional priorities:
- SEND reforms, including improving attainment of vulnerable children
- Audit and quality assurance
- Sufficiency of placements and outcomes.
Regional Improvement Alliance
The region is piloting part of the Regional Improvement Alliance framework, covering:
- The self-evaluation process review and template/guidance updates to reflect the requirements for ILACS, SEND and JTAI inspections
- Core dataset identification and testing, incorporating qualitative measures of effectiveness, to assist in identifying outliers and indicate LAs that may need support
- Governance and engagement tools that will help to identify, engage with, and support LAs who may be at risk of failing
- The role of chief executives and lead members in governance arrangements.
Peer Review & Inspection:
- Peer review training for a cohort of 24 colleagues from around the region was held in October. This was very well received, and a further course is being considered for the spring. The training is enhancing the resource pool of trained peer reviewers who will be available to conduct thematic peer reviews within and outside the region, as required
- Essex and Suffolk have both piloted the new Ofsted ILACS inspection framework and their experience is being shared with other LAs in the region
- Norfolk, the only Ofsted-rated ‘Inadequate’ authority in the region, is undergoing an Ofsted SIF re-inspection.
- The quarterly tartan rug report continues to highlight comparative performance across all LAs in the region against a range of performance measures
- Deep-dive benchmarking is being conducted into neglect, with narrative evidenced from a series of quality assurance audits undertaken in each LA.
- The regular regional network meetings facilitated for social care ADs, workforce leads, LSCB chairs and business managers, QA leads, performance information management group, principal social workers, corporate parenting steering group and the leaving care network continue
- We are extending the reach of sector-led improvement, incorporating the regional SEND network governance group and the school improvement leads network
- We continue to collaborate with ADASS SLI to bring some of the adults’ and children’s network groups and activities together.
Update from the Yorkshire & Humber region for the ADCS Council of...
Update from South East region for ADCS Council of Reference
Latest update from the East Midlands region
Update from the East Midlands region for the April meeting of the ADCS Council...
Update from standalone meeting of the Standards, Performance & Inspection...
Update for the June meeting of the ADCS Council of Reference
Latest update from the Standards, Performance and Inspection Policy Committee
Update from South West region for ADCS Council of Reference
Latest update from the Greater London region
Update from the Greater London region for the April meeting of the ADCS Council...
Update for the June 2016 meeting of the ADCS Council of Reference
Alison Michalska’s speech to NCASC 2017, Bournemouth
Update from the EM region for ADCS Council of Reference
Update from West Midlands region for ADCS Council of Reference
Latest update form the North East region