Next Upcoming Event

Wed, 06 Jul 22 11:59

Thames Valley Police

Last Updated: Wednesday, 31-Jan-18 10:50

Out of Area Placement of Children in Care Police Force Notifications

If a child has been placed in one of the following areas and you believe that the needs of the child and/or if the child is at risk and that the Thames Valley Police Force should be made aware of the placement, please contact them at one of the following addresses.



  • Bracknell Forest Council
  • Slough Borough Council and Slough Children’s Services Trust
  • Reading Council
  • Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead
  • West Berkshire Council
  • Wokingham Borough Council




  • Buckinghamshire County Council


Milton Keynes


  • Milton Keynes Council




  • Oxfordshire County Council


(N.B. indicates a secure email addresses)

When to notify the Police Force

The criteria for when to notify the police force is when any child is placed out of area and meets 1 or more of the following:

  • Is a victim of CSE
  • Believed/suspected to be at risk of CSE
  • Suspected/known to be a CSE perpetrator
  • Has past episodes of missing/absent from care or home
  • Has a gang involvement or association
  • Is a trafficked child
  • Is an unaccompanied asylum seeker.

Suggested core information items to be shared when making a notification of placement (or during consultation phase) can be found below.

Suggested information items to be shared as part of notification of new, changed or ceased children in care placement out of area

Child’s full name and AKA

  • Date of birth
  • Gender
  • Placing authority
  • Social worker name and contact details (particularly phone, email)
  • Emergency details for home authority
  • IRO details
  • Legal status
  • Whether this is notification of a new placement, a change or end of placement
  • Date placement started or date due to change or end
  • Carer/institution type (foster carer, children’s home or other)
  • What the carer has been contracted to provide, if specialist, for example
  • Carer contact details including address
  • Particular needs or risks to the child such as SEN, disability, youth offending, mental health needs etc – a copy of the care plan should be shared to highlight needs
  • School name and address (old and planned new school if known)
  • GP details (old and new if known).

Additionally, it would be helpful if a digital photograph of the child could be shared with the Police Force.

Police Force Contacts A - Z