East Midlands Regional Update - December 2019
The East Midlands Regional Update
This quarter has been an interesting one for the East Midland region as inspection processes have had a quite noticeable impact upon our levels of collaborative activity. Over three quarters of the region’s local authorities have either received ILACS in this period or have been heavily involved in follow-up from recent inspections or preparation for forthcoming ones. All of this consumes significant leadership capacity.
As reported previously, the EM RIIA plan is used as the coordinating framework for almost all of our joint work between LAs in support of children’s services. LAs are currently in the process of refreshing/updating their regional self-assessments and will submit them for the scrutiny of our LA-triad peer challenge process in the new year. This annual cycle will update the plan of our collaborative work to:
• Identify brokering priorities for LA-to-LA support
• Establish joint work opportunities to address common themes
• Create focus for the priority themes of our regional networks and groups.
No substantial new work streams have therefore been instigated within this quarter, but on going activity continues on a wide range of fronts, including:
• Collaborative price management controls for purchasing from the independent market
• Development of a sub-regional framework for placement procurement
• Development of effective practice and assessment relating to child exploitation
• Re-commitment to tackle the quality and price of agency social work
• Mapping the most effective practice/schemes that increase the supply of LA social workers
• Audit case moderation and joint quality assurance
• A new group and work-stream for service managers supporting care leavers
• Development of an Early Intervention Practitioner L4 Apprenticeship
• Training for IROs and CPC chairs in contextual safeguarding, modern slavery and care planning.
In the coming months we look forward to the contribution that will be made by:
• Sharing effective practice that develops in-house fostering
• A series of good practice visits between LAs on their priority themes.
South West Region Update December 2018
Alison Michalska’s speech to NCASC 2017, Bournemouth
West Midlands Region Update December 2018
ADCS President’s opening address National Children and Adult Services...
Yorkshire & Humber Region Update December 2018
Update of an ongoing example of region’s increasingly integrated and...
Latest update from the Standards Performance & Inspection Policy Committee
ADCS President comments on the benefits of a peer support programme for the...
Inaugural speech from ADCS President, Alison Michalska
Latest update from the Greater London region
Eastern Region Update December 2018
Eastern regional update September 2019
Greater London Region Update December 2018
North West Region Update December 2018
ADCS President, Alison O’Sullivan’s speech to the 2015 National Children...