Eastern Region Update December 2018
Regional Self-Evaluation & DCS Peer Challenge
- The new Regional Improvement Alliance/sector-led improvement framework continues to influence the focus of activity within the region
- As part of the new process, the next regional DCS meeting in December will include updates from each DCS on the actions arising from their self-evaluations and peer challenge, Ofsted focused visits, feedback from any inspections since last April and the quarter two data from the tartan rug. It is anticipated that this review and challenge will be able to feed into each local authority’s preparation for their Ofsted annual conversation which, for some authorities, will be scheduled early in 2019.
The confirmed regional priorities emerging from the peer challenge process are:
- Outcomes for children in need and early help
- Children not in school and vulnerable learners
- Serious youth violence
- Reducing resources and increasing need
- Sharing good practice.
DCS and AD leads have been identified for each regional priority. An improvement action plan has been prepared outlining a programme of work to address each topic area and this has been shared with the LGA Improvement Advisor and the DfE. The improvement activity links in to the work of the regional networking groups and several focused regional events are being planned.
Peer Review & Inspection
Peer reviews provide challenge and support in targeted, thematic areas of service. The full peer review methodology is being reviewed and updated to bring it into line with the ILACS framework and a peer review programme for 2019 is being planned. In addition:
- Paired peer reviews are being conducted into QA & audit arrangements. A methodology has been prepared, pairings agreed, and local planning/scheduling has commenced
- A peer review methodology for PLO & care proceedings is available for those LAs that request a peer review
- A thematic CLA & achieving permanence peer review methodology has been prepared. A team has been assembled to conduct a single targeted peer review at the end of November
- SEND peer reviews continue
- A programme of education service peer reviews has been planned for this academic year.
- The quarterly tartan rug report continues to highlight comparative performance across all LAs in the region against a range of performance measures; data outcomes are increasingly being supported with contextual narrative comment
- Additional data measures, for inclusion in the tartan rug, are being considered. Some of these relate to the group of 18 KPIs proposed by ADCS as a common dataset for regional KPI monitoring
- A thematic deep-dive benchmark into CIN is currently being undertaken. This will be supplemented by narrative evidenced from QA activity undertaken in each LA.
- The regular regional network meetings facilitated for social care ADs, LSCB chairs and business managers, QA leads, performance information management group, principal social workers, corporate parenting steering group, leaving care network and education leads continue to be held
- A SEND work programme is also in place and will be reviewed at the end of the financial year
- A new regional group for leads of the early help service is being constituted with a plan to hold the first meeting before the end of the year
- Governance of sector-led improvement activity within the region is undertaken by an SLI steering group, a children’s improvement board and the regional DCS group.
ADCS President, Alison O’Sullivan’s speech to the 2015 National Children...
East Midlands Regional Update September 2019
North East Region Update December 2018
East Midlands Regional Update for December 2019 CoR meeting
On Wednesday 14th October 2015, Alison O’Sullivan, President of the...
Stuart Gallimore’s Inaugural Presidential Speech
Greater London Regional Update September 2019
North West Region Update December 2018
Greater London Regional Update for December 2019 CoR meeting
East Midlands Regional Update June 2019
North East Regional Update September 2019
Sector-Led Improvement • All 19 authorities have agreed to...
North East Regional Update for December 2019 CoR meeting
Greater London Regional Update June 2019
North West Regional Update September 2019